Thursday, June 30, 2011

WPP - Tabby's Birthday Party

WPP = White People Problems.

So Tabby's birthday is Aug 20 and I've booked a 15 kid party at Imagination Avenue, a genuinely neat kid centric place for them to play and have cake, and generally have a good time. No three year old child has 15 actual friends, and I thought for sure that 15 would be overkill, especially since it's kind of far from our house and we have no relatives in AZ. The more I thought about this the more sure I was that we'd be fine.

As the party slowly approaches, I start counting the kids of the people I would like to invite, and this is now as grisly as the process of making the A and B list for a large wedding, where you invite people from list B as the people from list A send you their regrets, and fret about whose feelings will be hurt because you didn't have enough money to invite the whole world to celebrate a toddler's 3rd birthday.

Nobody tells you about this sort of drama when you are holding a baby or when you're worrying about developmental milestones - parenthood is just as fraught with ridiculous social traps for adults as anything else, and though by now I should have realized it, this is the first birthday we're having outside of our own house. Definitely WPP.

Anyway, the Hello Kitty cake will go over like gangbusters.

No comments:

Post a Comment