Wednesday, November 11, 2009

nonononononono.

"Lookit Taaaabby."
Joey points to his sister, standing next to the television with her finger on the power button. She looks at me. This child rarely blinks, which is odd because her eyes are as big as golf balls. Her tiny little finger puts pressure on the power button. Off. On. Off. On. Off. On. Off.
"Nonononononononononononononono," she tells me.
Her finger comes away from the television to admonish me (a cat? her brother? the air?).

You always hear that kids imitate what they see. My kids love to admonish each other, help with the dishes, and go bye bye. Joey wants to go shopping every time we get in the car. I wish I shopped as much as he wants to; we really only grocery shop on Saturdays.

I have a contented life, but watching what my kids do in imitation of me is a little depressing. In their eyes right now I'm a grocery shopping, bath giving, no-doling, dishwasher who occasionally slips them a little piece of cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment